Monday, April 1, 2024

Excited for Heaven

Sometimes I feel my body is like a beat-up 1957 Pontiac with over 400k miles. The engine badly leaks oil, the spark plugs misfire, the tires are bald, the muffler is gone, and the car hasn’t passed inspection in 5 years. Last month I felt I was ready for the junk yard. But it seems a little medicinal water in the radiator made me good for at least a few more miles. My battery has already passed expiration, so anything could happen anytime. But as of today, I’m still chugging along.

As I write, it’s Resurrection Sunday, celebrating the work of Jesus Christ on the cross and His rising from the grave. Sadly, most people in the world have no hope of heaven. For them, it’s just a myth or something they just hope might be true. But for us who know the Lord, who treasure Him, who know of heaven’s certainty, let me ask you, what do you look forward to the most in heaven? Some will say they are excited to see their loved ones. Some, especially us older folks, are thrilled to imagine life in our new regenerated body. Still others are eager to satisfy their curiosity about the mysteries of the universe. Here are the 3 things I’m most excited about.

1. To see and know God more. Part of me is a little afraid to see Him. After all, He knows all the good, bad, and ugly about me. But I have learned that His love is bigger than all my bad. He is the one who chose me, who died for me, who saved me, who taught me, who empowered me, and who eventually glorifies me. He is the creator of the universe and of life. He is the source of all that is good. Growing my relationship with God has been the most exciting adventure in my life. I want to know Him even more! I want to bow down before Him! Heaven will open the door to a whole new adventure.

2. To be free from sin. I don’t think most of us have a clue how desensitized we are to sin’s awful grip. The more I want to be holy, the further away from it I seem to be. Just a few moments of Spirit-led reflection will reveal how enticed we are to sin’s most subtle snares. Selfish thoughts and attitudes fill our hours and days. I doubt any of us can imagine the incredible freedom we will experience when we are forever free from sin’s allurement. Shouts of joy will fill the air.

3. To live in my new heavenly home. Eccl. 3:11 says God has placed eternity in our hearts. All of us have tapped into that inner longing to live in a perfect place of unstained beauty. My mind can easily escape to a tantalizing world of majestic mountains, luscious forests, thundering waterfalls, colorful gardens, surrounding a heavenly mansion, or I’d be content with a simple cabin. I love that verse that says, “No eye has seen and no mind can fully imagine what God has prepared for those who love Him.”

That’s a whole lot to look forward to. Until then, I’ll just keep chugging along in this old body until it runs out of fuel.

No comments: