Sunday, October 1, 2023

Imagining Heaven

When my kids were young, I used to encourage them to imagine what Heaven was like. I wasn’t aiming for theological accuracy, I was aiming for joy. “What would make you the happiest,” I would ask. I recall one of my kids answering, “Heaven would be having all the Lego blocks in the world so I could build anything I wanted.” My reply was always, “Whatever you imagine Heaven to be, it will be many times better than that.” Does not Scripture tell us, “…no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Cor. 2:9).

Of course, the qualifier is “for those who love Him.” Much should be said about what it means to ‘love Him’ (see my March 1, 2021 entry: Scoundrel Joe). Too many people want to believe that just about everybody goes to Heaven, but Jesus said the opposite in Matthew 7, “…the gate to hell is wide and the road that leads to it is easy, and there are many who travel it. But the gate to life is narrow and the way that leads to it is hard, and there are few people who find it.”

But I assume most of my readers here have settled the certainty of their salvation and are ready to enjoy “setting your mind on the things of Heaven” (Col. 3:2). In Randy Alcorn’s book, Heaven, he explains that the Bible tells us some things we can be certain about Heaven, such as “…no more death, or mourning, or crying, or pain…” Then there are many verses in the Bible that give us clues about Heaven, such as “…the wolf will live together with the lamb…” Then there is much we can speculate about Heaven, knowing the nature and character of God.

So do it! Open your Bible and imagine what Heaven will be like. Will we know each other? Yes! Will we have an immortal body with amazing abilities? Yes! Will Heaven be beautiful? Absolutely, beyond what our mind can imagine (picture immaculate gardens, towering waterfalls, majestic mountains, colorful forests, white beaches, and incredible skies)! Will we be perfect? Yes, no more greed, envy, lust, anger, selfishness, pride, etc. Will we work and be creative? Yes, but our work will be immensely fulfilling and the universe will be our canvass for creativity. Will there be animals in Heaven? Yes! We will walk with the lions and run with the horses. Will our favorite pets be in Heaven? Why not? Wouldn’t it be like God to make that a part of our happiness?

Earlier last month I had about a week where I felt miserable. The side where my primary tumor continues to grow was hurting. I had some difficulty breathing. I asked the Lord to let me write at least one more blog where I can thank my dear readers for their faithfulness in praying for me and my family through these many years. Then I got better and it looks like I may be able to write at least a few more blogs. Still, I am so grateful for your partnership in my life’s journey. Regardless of where you are along your journey, if you love the Lord, Jesus Christ more than life, then join with me in imagining the glory that awaits us when this journey ends and the new one begins!

2 comments:

Linda Austin said...

Loving you My Mark!
Praying
Praying as Our God is at work today through the burdens we are walking through, knowing that His Love for us is greater than we can ever understand this side of Heaven. Praising Our God for His Love and His Faithfulness to us!

Praying Ephesians 3:14-19 concerning you today.

14 For this reason I bend my knees before the Father,
15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name,
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner self,
17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and height and depth,
19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to all the fullness of God.
20 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us,
21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

https://youtu.be/-Zj9FI8mppE?si=1LxEHXifqvAdP_DX

Any Specific Request for today?

Praying

Linda Austin said...

Praying