Friday, September 1, 2023

The Best Is Yet to Come

“I can shrink those tumors”, claimed my new oncologist in Tyler, Texas. “Combining oral medication with targeted I.V. therapy, we may be able to delay your cancer progression for a few years.” I thanked her for her concern but restated my decision not to do treatment because of the cost involved. My mission organization is self-insured. The cost of just one month of treatment could pay the monthly salary for two single missionaries.

“I understand your concern”, she continued. “But some drug companies have benevolent programs for those who cannot afford the medications or whose insurance will not pay the cost.” I assured her that my mission organization has offered to cover any cost for my treatment, but it was my decision to decline their offer. (God may lead others to do treatment. Each case is different.)

I then explained to her, “I am a believer in the Lord, Jesus Christ, and I am excited for heaven. Besides, it doesn’t make sense to me to take money away from mission work just to keep me out of heaven a little longer.” She consented to my wishes and then we reviewed my latest PET scan results.

My largest tumor surrounding and invading my pancreas has grown to 3 x 5 inches, about the size of a potato. It partially protrudes from my left side and causes me some discomfort and occasionally some pain. The first week of August was especially uncomfortable and I finally took some of my prescription pain medication. A somewhat smaller tumor is filling my abdominal area and is now pressing against my small intestines in two places, a potential problem. I have other nodules around my spine and in my lungs that have progressed in size since my last scan a year ago.  Other areas are suspicious for metastasis.

My oncologist is surprised that the cancer has not grown faster, considering its type and grade. But I would be naïve to think that I can go much longer without experiencing serious complications. Still, I’m grateful that on most days I can help Hannah with Nathaniel and Rebekah. (Rebekah is doing great and Hannah has just about fully recovered from her amazing birthing experience. See previous blog.)

Best of all, I continue to rest in the assurance that God holds my life in His hands. He has pre-determined the day of my ‘promotion’. He has taken away all fear and anxiety. He has poured out His peace in my heart. He has blessed me with joyful anticipation of heaven. I smile at the future knowing the best is yet to come.

No comments: