Thursday, August 30, 2018

Watery Eyes

Filipino men seldom get emotionally teary-eyed.  But I did.  How could I not?  During last Monday’s national holiday, about 60 of my closest friends – ministry partners, church leaders, and just all-a-round good people, gathered to give me a farewell send off.  I sat through nearly 2 hours of affirmations, special songs, and heart-felt encouragements all aimed at me.  They were overly gracious.  As they surrounded me during a closing prayer, my eyes got watery.

I shared with them something that made me uncomfortable.  I will be returning to the U.S. for a year, visiting churches and other groups, sharing about God’s work in this part of the Philippines.  Most of these events will conclude with a banquet or worship service in which the attending missionaries will be honored.  They will seat us in privileged places while a gifted speaker extols the tremendous sacrifices we make to serve overseas.

But it is no sacrifice to do what God gives you a desire to do.  For 30+ years I have been blessed to know godly Filipino men and women who have sacrificed far more than I ever could.  I have had a front row seat to see God work in incredible ways through simple but obedient people.  I have been humbled to experience the power of God’s grace at work through me.  All of this is no sacrifice; it is a privilege.

What makes me uncomfortable is sitting in a place of honor in a U.S. church, knowing that it’s not me who should be esteemed, but those Filipino men and women who were now praying for me.  They are the real heroes who serve and sacrifice day after day to build God’s kingdom with very little reward.  They should be in the seat of honor, not me.  Well, I can only hope that their rewards in heaven will far outweigh mine.

I leave on Sept. 8.  I will live in the mission house of North Richland Hills Baptist Church in north Fort Worth, about 20 minutes away from David’s house and 30 minutes from Jonathan.  Sara will be moving into the house next week and will stay with me during my year-long Stateside Assignment.  Martha and Philip may move in, too, after Christmas.  Hannah and Daniel are about 4 hours south in the Texas hill country.

The day after I arrive I will fly to Virginia to attend a week-long missionary debriefing conference.  I will be with Martha during her birthday and spend an evening with her and Philip before flying back to DFW.  During the coming year I have churches lined up to speak in and other places and people I hope to visit before I return to the Philippines late next year.  But in all my travels, part of my heart will still be with these wonderful people here who have loved me, ministered with me, and shared their lives with me.  My eyes are watering!

1 comment:

Janet C Nash said...

Glad you can be in the US with your family this year. I know the feeling of leaving the Philippines with mixed emotions. If you should get to Georgia, would love to see you- I live in the Atlanta area. Always enjoy your blogs.