Monday, July 30, 2018

Bro. Danny

I first mentioned the song in my Nov. 15, 2009 blog.  In English the song is a prayer to God: "In Your presence (Sa presensiya mo) I have joy (kalipay); in Your presence I have peace (kalinong), in Your presence I have victory (kadalag-an); I offer (ihalad) my life to You.  In 2005, Bro. Danny wrote this song a few months after Jan and I left the Philippines for cancer treatment.  At the time, Bro. Danny and I had begun a church planting project in his municipality (county). 

But when cancer hit I had to leave immediately and all funding for the project, including Danny's support, stopped.  Danny was at a loss.  Without my presence, Danny wasn't sure how to proceed.  With a family to support and a ministry to continue, Danny became desperate.  One evening, during His quiet time, God spoke to Danny and the song was Danny's response.

Danny realized that God's presence (not mine) was all he needed.  In the weeks that followed, Danny and other church leaders boldly shared the gospel in a nearby mountain village where over 70 people professed Christ and were baptized.  Danny shared the song with his church who carried it to other churches.  The message and melody of the song had a big impact on a lot of people.

The song has crossed denominations and can now be heard in churches, camps, and home fellowships throughout the Western Visayas Region of the Philippines.  After I returned in 2008, I had one of my ministry partners, Lily Lacena (who is also Danny's sister-in-law) record the song.  You can listen to it here: Sa Presensiya Mo   It's also a beautiful way to hear what the Ilonggo language sounds like.

Earlier this year I was able to begin a new project with Bro. Danny.  Currently, he is ministering in five different areas as a community developer, supported by Baptist Global Relief.  Danny spends time with community members and leaders training them to discover self-help means to solve local problems.  In the process he has begun sharing the gospel with the aim of starting new churches.

Pray for Bro. Danny as he meets new people, begins new projects, and introduces new people to the Savior.  Emy, Danny's wife, is a source of tremendous encouragement and help to Danny and their ministry.  Their daughter recently graduated from college and has begun teaching high school music using Christian songs as a teaching tool.  She has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard and has obviously inherited some of her father's musical talent.

My departure date for the States is Sept. 8.  August will be a very busy month for me as I continue my speaking and training schedules while also packing and putting away my stuff for storage.  I'm going to miss the people here.  But I know God's presence is all they need.

 

No comments: