Friday, May 4, 2018

Pastor Jimmy

Wow, I just realized today that it’s been a month since my last update.  My year-long Stateside Assignment is coming up the first of September and there isn’t usually much for me to report on while I’m in the States.  So, I was thinking of updating this blog the first of each month just to be consistent.  But I’ll see.

Last night a dear pastor of ours past away.  He was a month younger than me, but had pastored his church for nearly as long as I’ve been here in the Philippines.  About 5 years ago Jimmy’s doctor prescribed antibiotics for a kidney infection.  Since all their money was going to get their 2 sons through college, Jimmy didn’t buy the full dosage.  The infection returned and his kidneys were unable to recover.  He began kidney dialysis about 3 years ago. 

I visited him the night before and his breathing was rapid and shallow.  He sensed his time was short but he was ready.  His faithful wife and their 2 sons were by his side.  It’s sad when a godly man dies, but it’s also a time of rejoicing, knowing he is now enjoying all his faith-earned rewards in his new heaven-made body.

April was a busy time for me with people to visit, sermons to prepare, projects to manage, reports to file, meetings to attend, house to clean, grass to cut, clothes to wash, food to cook, car to clean, and teeth to brush.  (I guess I didn’t need to list that last one, but I was on a roll!)   May looks to be even busier with more of the same plus a youth retreat thrown in. 

This May marks the 14th year since I had my initial cancer surgery and the 10th year since my surgery for cancer recurrence.  Not that I think about it much; I hardly ever do.  I’m excited for my new eternal home in heaven and I’m ready for it whenever the Lord is.  But hospitals remind me that before I can move in to my majestic mansion, I’ll probably have to suffer some uncomfortable physical deterioration.  I tell people that I’m not at all afraid of death, but I’m deathly afraid of hospitals.  Well, if that’s the price I must pay to get on the train to glory then I’ll gladly pay it, whenever it’s time for the train to leave.

1 comment:

Janet C Nash said...

Mark, was the pastor who went to heaven's family name Catanus. If so, he had such godly parents who loved and served the Lord faithfully. We knew the family when we lived in Cotabato City (1965-71) and one of his sisters was a helper in our home. Another sister worked in the treasurer's office in Manila. Both married Americans and live in Texas. Just wondering if this is the ladies' brother.