Monday, August 3, 2015

When God Doesn't Make Sense

One of my biggest blessings this year has been the testimony of Bro. Jun (see Feb. 20 entry).  After experiencing kidney cancer nearly 2 years ago, God exalted this humble servant and led him to revive the church he now pastors.  On June 4, we ordained him.  Two days later, it was confirmed that his cancer had returned and metastasized.  Now he is in deep pain, doubtful that he will make it to Christmas.

One doesn’t have to live long in the Christian life before running up against situations that just do not make sense.  A Christian soldier is killed, others unharmed.  A tornado destroys a church building, leaving surrounding structures intact.  An innocent child is kidnapped and tortured, his captor never caught.  An immoral man becomes wealthy, an honest Christian looses his job.  It’s a question often asked by the prophets of old, “Lord, why do the wicked prosper and the righteous suffer?” (Psalm 73:3; Jer. 12:1; Job 21:7; Hab. 1:4)

Before we claim to know the answer, let’s recall these words: “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter” (Prov. 25:2); “The secret things belong to the Lord” (Deut. 29:29); “Truly you are a God who hides Himself” (Isaiah 45:15); “As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the maker of all things” (Eccl. 11:5).  Sometimes God may reveal to us why a particular trial comes, other times He’s silent. 

Many people willingly make sacrifices, such as a mother who gives her life in order to save her child, or a soldier who sacrifices his life for his country.  But what is particularly troubling is when we can’t find a purpose for the suffering; when we can’t see God behind it.  Job (23:2-9) complained, “If only I knew where to find Him… I would state my case before Him…  But if I go to the east, He is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find Him.  When He is at work in the north, I do not see Him; when He turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of Him.”

So what are we to do when God seems absent during a tidal wave of adversity?  James Dobson, in His book, When God Doesn’t Make Sense, recommends that we camp our thoughts on three truths.  First, God is present and involved in our lives even when we don’t see Him.  Like the 2 disciples on the road to Emmaus who didn’t recognize Jesus, even though He was beside them, we choose not to trust our emotions, but to believe God’s Word.  “I will never leave you,” Jesus said. (Matt. 28).  God is “a friend who sticks closer than a brother” (Prov.18).  “If I take the wings of the dawn, if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even there Thy hand will lead me, and Thy right hand will lay hold of me” (Psalm 139).

Second, God’s timing is perfect, even when He seems late.  Mary and Martha were certain God was too late in coming to the aid of their deceased brother, Lazarus.  But God’s purposes could only be accomplished by coming when He did.  When tragedy strikes, some of God’s purposes may be seen, but other purposes will never be understood this side of heaven’s gates.  And that’s when we remember a third truth: For reasons that are impossible to explain, we are incredibly precious to God.

“What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, that you examine him every morning?” (Job 7).  David said in Psalm 8, “What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?”  “O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways…” (Psalm 139).

So why did kidney cancer have to strike Bro. Jun?  (I can understand me getting kidney cancer; no problem with that!)  In fact, I could make a long list of people who I think make better candidates for kidney cancer.  I can give God the list whenever He’s ready for it!  But in the shadows of heaven there works a wisdom and purpose far higher than I could ever see.  What He HAS given to me and you are precious truths that can see us through any dark storm of adversity:  God is always with us, He is never late, and for some unimaginable reason, we are precious to Him.

2 comments:

Janet C Nash said...

This blog is very encouraging to us. Sometimes so difficult not to ask WHY but we know God is in control and His timing is perfect. We pray God's richest blessings on you and your family.

Anna Miller said...

I am curious about your perspective on the recent leadership and upcoming structural changes to the IMB. I would be very interested to see a post on that topic.