Saturday, July 18, 2015

Enclaves of Faith

There is much to bemoan in the world.  But because God is always at work, enclaves of faith can always be found.  My work here, coupled with your prayers and support, has helped uncover these pockets of faith and see them grow.

Every Tuesday evening, a group of Christians meet who are learning to be ‘light shiners’ where ever God places them.  For nearly 4 years now, this group has shared the gospel with many and seen some come to faith.  While having fun together every Tuesday, they also take the Great Commission seriously, encouraging one another through God’s Word and their personal testimonies.

On Sunday evenings, I meet with a dedicated group of believers who have seen much struggle and hardships in their collective lives.  Yet they have grown strong through suffering, experiencing God’s presence through trials and tribulations.  They have learned to smile in the face of adversity, and sing God’s praises knowing that He is working all things together for good.

On Thursday, I visited with our BOOST trainees, men from ages 18 to 58 who are spending several hours each day increasing in their knowledge of God’s Word and growing wise in following God’s ways.  They have lived together for the past 2 months, cultivating, growing, and harvesting their FAITH (Food Always In The Home) gardens in the mornings, and growing more toward spiritual maturity in the afternoons as they study and apply the Scriptures, and share their faith publicly every weekend.

Last night, 8 young people from one of our churches enjoyed a time of fellowship and sharing in my home.  Caught in a culture that daily tempts them to peel away their trust in God, these young people have learned to say ‘no’ to the world and ‘yes’ to what truly matters.  They, too, have learned to have wholesome fun together, while making wise choices that protects them from the corruption and moral decay that surrounds them.

Last Saturday, I joined with Bro. Ronald and 4 of his school staff as they carried God’s Word to a village that had been devastated by Typhoon Hiayan.  Southern Baptist teams from the U.S. helped the people in this village rebuild their homes, and now Bro. Ronald and his team continue to help them rebuild their lives.  Each week, adults along with about 50 children are learning about a God who cares.

Also, last week, I led a training for 15 faithful believers on the west end of our island who help lead a vibrant, growing church in the capital city of their province.  In their eyes I could see an eagerness to know God more, and a joy in sharing His truths to those He brings into their lives.

Enclaves of faith in a troubled nation; beacons of light in a darkening world.  Hopeful, refreshing, God at work.

2 comments:

Janet C Nash said...

Always enjoy your blog- God is doing a mighty work in the PI- and through you. We pray for you and trust you are doing well. How many years before retiring? Your children have done so well and we know this is in answer to your prayers and that of many others. With God's help and strength, keep up the good work. Bob and Jan

Mark said...

Hello Jan,

Thanks so much for keeping up with the work on this side of the Pacific pond. I know that you and Bob left a big part of your hearts here. As for when my work here will be done, I don't yet know. I tell folks that I'm waiting for God to send me an email or text message to let me know! Haha. I still have another 3 years of a 5 year term left. Yes, I'm super blessed by my kids. David is getting married in Nov. I'll probably write about that in a blog soon. Y'all are still in Georgia, correct? I hope all goes well for you there and that the Lord continues to add His blessings to many faithful years of service.