Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pine Forests and Skeet Shooting

This month, I had the privilege of participating in 2 Global Impact Conferences. The first was in the East Texas Baptist Association centered in Nacogdoches. About 18 missionaries from the International Mission Board, the North American Mission Board, and various Texas state agencies, gathered on the first day for a Mission Fair, where we displayed native products and shared with hundreds of east Texas folks who came to learn more about missions.

The rest of the week, we spoke in area churches, reporting about how God was at work in our various ministries. During my free time, I explored east Texas. Although I grew up in Ft. Worth, I had never been to this area of Texas. I couldn’t believe the massive number of trees. I had to keep reminding myself that I was in Texas. Pine forests were everywhere.

I especially enjoyed a 3 hour hike in the Big Thicket National Recreation Area, north of Beaumont. Sections of the hike even had swampy Cyprus trees. Someone told me that Texas actually has the largest acreage of timber of any state outside Alaska and Georgia.

Last week I enjoyed the fellowship of Highland Terrace Baptist Church in Greenville, Texas, about an hour northeast of Dallas. Another group of about a dozen missionaries participated in a Missions Fair, and then we spoke in home gatherings during the week.

During the weekend, they treated the men to a skeet-shoot, where several shotguns blasted clay discs tossed toward the sky. The WWII hero, Audie Murphy, is from this area, which may explain their fondness for rifles. For those who follow Christian music, the group Mercy Me is from this church and I met some of their family members.

During these events, we missionaries are given special treatment and honor. But I always think of my Filipino friends who serve faithfully year after year, and never receive such recognition. I wish I could transport them to these places and let them receive all the special treatment and honor. They deserve it so much more than I do.

Well, maybe God will make up to them in heaven someday.

No comments: