Monday, January 1, 2024

A Happy New Year

I hope your new year gets off to a very good start. I know not everyone’s will. For some, hurts linger from unresolved conflicts. Some have lost jobs. Housing is unaffordable for many. The cost of living is rising faster than our income. Globally, Europe is embroiled in 2 wars. Political corruption is rampant. The ‘progressive’ culture is increasingly hostile toward Christians. A happy new year seems elusive.

Still, the Prince of Peace reigns. To those who treasure Him, He promises that the turmoil and heaviness of this fallen world will not be our end. Hope remains. No matter how difficult our lives may be or how dark the world becomes, the Lord Jesus Christ is our forever friend who guides us through these tunnels of turmoil and eventually out into the beautiful world of His eternal home. I’m eager for it, and I hope you are, too. Until then, cling to Jesus; He will get you through the hard times.

I was glad to spend Christmas day with most of my family, except for Martha and Philip who celebrated Christmas in Virginia with Philip’s family, and Daniel who was in Tennessee with his family. David and Andrea hosted us in their home. We sang Christmas carols, exchanged gifts, and ate more than we should. Sara still works for Neiman Marcus and Jonathan for Raytheon. My brother and his wife dropped by for a visit.

When I was a child, my family would often travel to Oklahoma to visit my grandparents. My grandfather would usually greet us with a smile and a declaration: “Well, I’m glad to see you but I’m getting old and this may be the last time you get to see me.” He said this over the course of many years, eventually getting it right, but not until he was 92 years old.

For the past 4 Christmases, I think I’ve said that each Christmas would probably be my last. Well, eventually I’ll get it right. I’ve certainly outlived my doctors’ predictions as well as my own. I often wonder why the Lord did not lead me to continue my service in the Philippines, given that my cancer has progressed so slowly, but I’ll leave that in the security of His wise and sovereign will.

Still, my cancer is progressing. The tumor bulge on my left side tells me so. Digestive and breathing issues remain. But no matter how bad the cancer gets, it will not be the end of me. The Lord has guaranteed that. The promise of His presence, the certainty of His love, the fullness of His joy, and the living hope of Heaven means that, regardless of how difficult our lives may seem or how dark the world becomes, every year can be a happy one.

No comments: