Thursday, June 1, 2023

Moving Again

Moving back and forth between overseas and the U.S. every 3 to 5 years makes most missionaries very experienced yet weary packers. When I returned to the U.S. one last time 3 years ago, I thought my moving days were over. My next move to heaven would require no luggage, passport, immunizations, clearances, packing, or lifting heavy boxes and furniture.

Then, last December, Hannah and Daniel’s babysitter had to back out; they were desperate to find someone to care for little Nathaniel. Like a dutiful grandfather, I volunteered, as long as my health and strength would allow. So, I moved to Marble Falls, Texas, where they lived and near where they worked.

When Hannah became pregnant with Nathaniel a little more than 2 years ago, it became her desire to be a stay-at-home mother. That dream intensified when she became pregnant with Rebekah, now due in mid-July. But Hannah and Daniel’s jobs with Texas State Parks just didn’t pay enough to afford living in the expensive hill country and pay for childcare, or for Hannah to be a stay-at-home mother.

In a quick and remarkable turn of events, Daniel got a job offer on May 5 in Tyler, Texas, and began training in Tyler on May 8. On May 12, He and Hannah found a house for sale just outside of Tyler and put in an offer, which was accepted the next day. We applied for a mortgage loan on May 16, and it was finally approved a couple of days ago. So, on the house closing date of June 16, it appears we are moving to Tyler!

It's a bold move for Hannah, leaving her farm management position with the State Parks and becoming a stay-at-home mother. But the cost of living is much more affordable in Tyler and the job potential for Daniel is much more favorable. It will place them closer to each of their families. Currently, our rental house here in Marble Falls is strewn with boxes and stacks of things to be packed, a situation I’m not unfamiliar with.

Amazingly, I’ve felt pretty good most of this past month. I’m still puzzled as to why my advancing cancer hasn’t yet caused me more adverse symptoms, but I’ll take each good day the Lord gives me. I was scheduled for a checkup and scan this month to see how much advancement the cancer has made during the past year, but I will have to reschedule it once we are in Tyler.

What is certain is that I’m closer to heaven now than ever before. I remain super excited for all the Lord has secured for me through the work of His Son, Jesus Christ - my treasured Savior, Friend, and Eternal King. But it appears before I make that final move, I have one more move to make. Now, where did I put those scissors and packing tape?

No comments: