Monday, August 1, 2022

Cancer Report

It was Thursday, July 21, another 100+ degree summer afternoon.  I exited the Texas Oncology building, walked to the parking garage, holding an envelope in my hand that contained my latest PET scan report.  My last PET scan, taken 11 months earlier, showed cancer spreading to my lungs and continuing to invade my pancreas and abdominal peritoneal cavity.  How widespread was my cancer now?  How much had it grown?  How much longer might I have?

As I sat in my car with the envelope, I smiled and rejoiced, “Lord, I thank You that right now I have zero anxiety and nothing but peace in my heart.  If this report shows that my cancer has spread rapidly and my time is imminent, then that means I am close to being with You and entering Your eternal heaven of happiness.  Nothing could be better.  But if the report shows that the cancer is spreading slowly, then I will purpose to live each day for You and find joy in each one.” 

The report showed the latter.  Both the pancreatic and abdominal tumor masses have progressed “slightly”, according to the report, and the lung nodules remain small.  No new metastasis were identified.  Still, I know that even a small cancerous nodule in a strategic location can cause a lot of trouble, so anything could happen anytime.  But the PET scan led my oncologist to conclude that the cancer is growing much slower than we originally thought and estimated that I likely had at least another year of life.

That means that I’ll continue to deal with chronic digestive issues caused by my compromised pancreas, colon issues caused by the abdominal mass, my Fuch’s Dystrophy eye disease that has affected my vision, plus other old age stuff.  And it looks like I’ll make it to my 65th birthday in November when I’ll be eligible for Medicare.  The IMB has been super good to me and has gone beyond expectations in providing for my needs and health care.

So, I am blessed.  David and his family are currently in the jungles of Brazil, boating up the Amazon River to visit a remote missionary family their church helps support, bringing them some Stateside goodies and a bundle full of encouragement.  Sara is spending the week with Hannah, Daniel, and little Nathaniel.  And I continue to rest in the Lord, praising Him for a peace that surpasses all understanding.

2 comments:

Janet C Nash said...

Thank you for this update, Mark. The Lord has a reason for your remaining here on this earth for a while. I am thankful that your pain is not severe at this time as you rest in His peace and goodness. I have five grands and seven great grands! Guess that shows something of my age- I'm now 86. Bob went to his heavenly home in 2017.

Love to you and your family,

Jan Nash

Unknown said...

There are reasons why these are happening. Praying here Kuya Mark.