Friday, August 12, 2016

Knowing Who is 'Saved'

From my last entry, I commented, “I usually don’t list a person as ‘saved’ until he or she is baptized.”  I was asked about that and, of course, the truth is we don’t know if a person is really ‘saved’ until we see consistent evidence of the fruit of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, etc.) in his/her life.  But supervisors, supporting churches, and statistical reports all want a number in the ‘saved’ category.

Years ago, I learned that it is easy here to have people, especially children, raise their hand if they want to ‘receive’ Christ.  I have seen pastors from the States speak in front of large crowds, then ask the people to raise their hands to accept Christ.  Afterwards, the pastors report thousands coming to Christ.  Large numbers can look good for organizations that depend on donations for their support.

Of course, I’m glad that the gospel is being preached, no matter how the numbers are reported.  But the eagerness of Asians to please their guest speaker, or their hope that God will bless them if they raise their hands, can easily leave a foreign preacher with the wrong impression.  For me, the real test of a person’s sincerity in following Christ is their willingness to be baptized.  That’s what baptism is for. 

In 2004, we had 2 U.S. organizations send two dozen American preachers to Iloilo City.  After a week of evangelistic meetings, together they reported a total of more than 24,000 “decisions for Christ.”  Several months later, I know only of 7 from that number who were baptized.  In 2009, I participated in “Christ Emphasis Week” at a local Christian University where more than 1,000 students came forward during the invitation time.  But the following week, only 12 came to the follow-up class, and 6 of them were eventually baptized.  Of course, the seed of the gospel may take time to bloom.  So we are always hopeful that others will eventually respond in obedience.
   
Again, I am excited whenever the gospel is preached.  But one of the advantages of being a long-term resident here is knowing better ways to present the gospel, then helping those who make decisions to grow in their relationship with God, which starts with baptism.  My greatest joy is watching those who are baptized experience a changed life through the power of God’s Spirit working in them.  So, like Paul, I can say, “Regardless of their motive, I am glad that Christ is being preached.  In this I rejoice.  Yes, I will rejoice!”  Philippians 1:18.

No comments: