Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmastime

Christmastime has changed for me.  When the kids were young, I would spend a whole day helping Jan put up the Christmas tree and other decorations (another half day taking them down).  During the 12 evenings before Christmas, we would do an Advent Calendar - telling parts of the Christmas story each night.  Christmas songs filled our house.  Cookies, chocolates, and other sweets were shared with our neighbors.  Following a breakfast of freshly baked cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning, we would dig into our presents, then feast on a traditional Christmas dinner.

Now, my empty nest looks the same as any other day, except for a lone Christmas reef I hang on my front porch, just so my neighbors will know that I’m not a grinch.  There are no gifts under the Christmas tree because there’s no Christmas tree.  I feel guilty fixing sweets just for myself, although that hasn’t completely stopped me from indulging my taste buds in some homemade delights.  However, thanks to Skype, I was able to talk with my kids for at least a couple of hours on Christmas day.

But one thing that hasn’t changed is the number of Christmas fellowships where our churches gather to celebrate Christ’s birth.  I spoke at 5 of them this month.  Early in the month we gathered 17 of our former BOOST students and listened to them share about what God has been doing in their communities.  Last week, several of our churches gathered on the west end of our island to testify of God’s work in their towns and villages.  Yesterday morning, 35 of our house church leaders crowded into my little house to sing, share, laugh, and pray.  What a huge blessing it is for me to hear about how God has changed attitudes, met phyical needs, encouraged the discouraged, poured out wisdom, and gave joy during difficult times.

On the home front, Martha had to work at the hospital on Christmas day, so all my kids gathered at David and Andrea’s home on the 26th to celebrate Christmas.  The weekend before, Sara and Jonathan traveled to Houston to help Hannah with the Christmas program at the George Ranch.  Sara cooked goodies on a genuine 1860 wood-fed, iron stove.  She and Hannah, dressed in 1860’s outfits, acted out drama skits in front of curious guests.  Also, the girls are talking about our next big Moses family vacation in about a year from now that will include me!  It’s to a country and continent we have never been to before. TBA.  

Although the way I celebrate Christmas has changed in recent years, the meaning of it stays the same.  God continues to pour out His gifts of blessings upon me and my kids.  We have much to be grateful for.  2016 will no doubt have its share of turbulent days; every year does.  But every day can be filled with joy knowing that the Savior born in Bethlehem is today King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

No comments: