Friday, February 20, 2015

Bro. Jun

Jun, a well-known business owner, had said things he shouldn’t have about the pastor, then led his family and a couple of other families out of the church. A few months later, he was diagnosed with stage-3 kidney cancer, and had his left kidney removed (something I could relate to). While the surgeon was removing the cancerous kidney, God was removing Jun’s bitter spirit.

Weeks later, Jun stood in front of the church, nervous, a bit shaken, but resolved to do what God had told him to do. “God has convicted me that I was wrong in saying the things I said and implying the things I implied. Will you forgive me?” Everybody knew what he was referring to, and everybody forgave him. All the morning worshipers, including Pastor Jimmy, gathered around him in a sign of support and love. For the next several months Jun, his wife, and children reestablished themselves as active and faithful members of the church.

Then it was discovered that Pastor Jimmy was experiencing kidney failure. A kidney infection had led to a round of antibiotics, but Pastor Jimmy never completed the prescribed dosage. Funds were limited. Jimmy and his wife were trying hard to get their youngest son through college, so that’s where the medicine money went to. The infection returned, spread, and permanently damaged both kidneys.

Pastor Jimmy is now on limited, government funded kidney dialysis, deteriorating, loosing weight, and knowing that his time on earth is short. Too weak to continue his pastorate responsibilities, Jimmy announced last December that he was stepping down as pastor. When asked who would replace him, Jimmy gave a hearty endorsement for Bro. Jun.

Jun was humbled. He had no seminary or Bible school training. He only had a faithful and willing heart. That was enough. Just before Christmas, the church unanimously elected him as their new pastor. For the past three months, Jun has rallied the church with his honest preaching, servant’s spirit, and humble leadership. He initiated a discipleship training and had nearly 50 people sign on. Worship attendance is up; prayer meeting participation is increasing, the church is excited and growing.

This morning, Bro. Jun, his wife, and seven others were in my home for some Bible training. During our sharing time, he said things like, “God knows I am not qualified to do what I am doing. But God is my strength.” “God is giving me the wisdom I need, because He knows I don’t have it.” “I am completely dependent on Him; without Him I know I could do nothing.”

And God said, “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

No comments: