Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Christmas Offering

The elections are done. Thank you to each one who voted. Autumn will soon be over. The trees are showing their fall color. I’ve read in the news that the U.S. is experiencing its first major blast of cold arctic air. Thanksgiving arrives in a couple of weeks, with Christmas not far behind. This is the time of year when we missionaries ask you to give a special gift to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions. Let me share with you how this offering works for me…

Provides a salary. Southern Baptists are unique in the way we support our missionaries. In my nearly 30 years here in the Philippines, I have seen several missionaries from other groups come and go, often because their support was dropped or was insufficient. With our Cooperative Program and Lottie Moon Offering, you provide me with a steady salary that frees me to focus on my work.

Provides a house and car. While the house that Lottie Moon rents for me here in the Philippines would not pass U.S. inspection standards, it’s plenty adequate for me. This house has been used for pastors’ meetings, fellowships, counseling, and even a retreat center. My vehicle has standard transmission and is 11 years old, but it has carried me and many others around this island sharing the good news of Jesus Christ in needy places.

Provides education funds. Lottie Moon gave Jan and I money to purchase books and curriculum needs for our children. It sent us to yearly conferences for training. Even now, it continues to provide a yearly amount to help cover college tuition for Martha and Jonathan. My children's education was made possible because of Lottie Moon.

Provides for health needs. Living overseas sometimes exposes us to various germs, viruses, and other tropical monsters. In my years here, I’ve enjoyed malaria, typhoid, amoebic dysentery, hepatitis A, dengue,and other exciting diseases. Lottie Moon covers me when I get sick. To keep expenses down, most missionaries have their health needs done locally in the country they serve in, like my cancer surgery in Manila in 2008.

Provides a ministry budget. With Lottie Moon, I can purchase Bibles for new Christians, reimburse travel expenses at conferences, purchase food for pastors’ meetings, and print lessons for discipleship training. I should mention that twenty years ago, my ministry budget was about $12,000 yearly. Because of a decrease in missions giving, my ministry budget for this year is less than $2,000. Still, we learn to stretch our budgets to make do with what we are given.

Let me say a big “Thank You” to everyone who has given in the past and will give again this year. Because of you, I am here. Because of you, we have churches here. Because of you, we have leaders here (like Bro. Ronald who witnesses to thousands of students each year – see my Sept. 4 blog entry). Because of you, God’s kingdom IS growing, here in the Philippines and around the world. May God bless you as you bless others through your giving.

Note: The 2014 Lottie Moon Christmas Offering goal is $175 million. This year, Hollywood spent $175 million producing an action, sci-fi movie about a military officer brought into an alien war against an extraterrestrial enemy who can reset the day and know the future. If our culture is willing to spend this much money for 2 hours of frivolous entertainment, can we not spend an equal amount to help fund our world-wide evangelism efforts for a year? I hope so.

No comments: