Thursday, September 4, 2014

Teach These Truths

Last Saturday I visited the village where we had done typhoon disaster relief. A core group of about a dozen newly baptized believers gather each week as Bro. Ronald and team help them grow in their relationship with God. Bro. Ronald, as I may have mentioned before, is the manager of a computer school in nearby Roxas City (the birthplace of Hannah and Martha) and is also the current president of the city’s Kiwanis Club. He is married and has 2 children.

I met Ronald in 1988, not long after Jan and I moved to Roxas City following language study. I helped disciple Ronald and soon he became the pastor of our first church. In 1993, a Christian lady bought a franchise for a computer school and asked Ronald to be the manager. Knowing she had many applications for the position, Ronald asked her, “Why me? I don’t know anything about computers!” But the owner assured Ronald they could train him in what he needed to know. She wanted Ronald because of his character; he was dependable, trustworthy, and worked well with people.

At first, Ronald said ‘no’ because God had called him to ministry work. But I encouraged Ronald to reconsider, knowing a school manager could have a lot of influence. So he accepted. He’s been the manager ever since, faithfully sharing Christ in his classes and through school Bible studies and retreats. One of his job responsibilities is to promote the computer school to graduating seniors from area high schools. Over the years, Ronald has developed a presentation in which he promotes the gospel of Jesus Christ more than the school. (I wish we could do things like this in the U.S.)

For several years, Ronald had been prohibited in coming to a major high school in a nearby town whose principal was a staunch Roman Catholic. Then, last month, Ronald was surprised to receive an invitation to come to the school. Their principal had been reassigned. So, last Friday, Ronald spent two and a half hours explaining the gospel through Scripture verses, testimony, music, and film clips. At the end of the presentation, nearly all 300 students indicated their faith and trust in the Lord, Jesus Christ.

After Ronald finished, the school’s guidance counselor stood before the students and said, “I am the one who asked Sir Ronald to come today. I’m sure he doesn’t remember me, but many years ago, he came to my high school in another town where I was a student and he shared the same gospel message. I asked Jesus to be my Savior and Lord that day, and now I want him to continue coming to our school here so each of you can have the same opportunity to know God as I have come to know Him.”

“You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.” 2 Timothy 2:2

1 comment:

Janet C Nash said...

Mark, what a thrilling testimony- and we know Jan and many others in heaven rejoice with her.