Thursday, March 13, 2014

Living Alone

Six months ago today I left my Texas homeland and flew to an empty nest. For the first time in my life, I’m living alone. There are days when I feel the sadness of leaving my youngins behind. On Christmas Day, I watched some home movies from 1991. Jan was giving a video tour of our house in Roxas City. I was lying on the living room floor, sick with a virus. David was wanting me to go outside to play. Sara was shouting at Hannah, who was sliding down my legs and crawling over my stomach. Jan was trying to get me to say a video greeting. Hmmm, maybe there are benefits to having an empty nest!

My 2-story rental house is just right for my needs. The downstairs has a small living room and a small kitchen with an eating area. A covered back porch offers a place for my washing machine and a clothes line. The front yard is small, but laid out quite nice with plants, flowers, and a couple of trees. It takes only 15 minutes for me to cut the grass, which stays green year round. A covered car port allows me dry access to the front door when it rains. Upstairs is my bedroom, just big enough for my single bed, desk, and treadmill. Two smaller rooms are used for storage and a guest room. All in all, about 1200 square feet.

There are 19 houses in this little 10-year old subdivision, all with a similar design and painting scheme. Mine is near the back, away from the road, where it is quiet, just as I like it. It’s gated, offering security, especially nice on nights when I’m away from the house. I do all my yardwork, cleaning, laundry, and cooking; no helper needed. Twice a week, I carry my trash to the street, which gives me a chance to chat with my neighbors. The subdivision is clean and well maintained. The location, along a major jeepney/bus route, is perfect for my needs, allowing me quick access to either the city or to the interior of the island.

I tell people that living alone has its advantages. I can leave a pair of scissors on the table and the next day it’s still there! If I’m thirsty, I can go downstairs to the kitchen in my shorts. There are never any dirty dishes in the sink. I control how much electricity I use. And best of all, I don’t have to hide my chocolate. But I do look forward to my Skype time with the kids. Sometimes I talk to myself and, being an introvert, I’m not a very good conversationalist. Martha plans to visit me in July for a few weeks, and I’m definitely looking forward to that.

Living alone does give me a bit more freedom for ministry. For the first time in 25 years, I have no homeschooling responsibilities. I schedule my own meals and study time. I can open up my house for meetings or small group fellowships. Occasionally visitors will drop by or I’ll have a pastor stay overnight.

Other times, however, being single and not having any of my children here can limit my ministry. Filipinos are very family oriented and it's rare to find anyone living alone. So, there are days when I miss having my family here, even with the noise and dirty dishes! But, I guess God gives grace when we need it. And for now, He’s giving me enough grace to live alone. Just barely enough.

No comments: