Saturday, February 8, 2014

For the Showers We Plead

It was 10 years ago when Jan and I began our cancer adventure; 7 years ago today when Jan was promoted into heaven. On this side of eternity, we can only speculate on the beauty, the glory, the majesty, and the splendor that Jan has enjoyed since her arrival in her eternal home. But no need to speculate on what has happened on this side of heaven’s gate: typhoons, tornados, bone-chilling cold, sweltering summers, diseases, accidents, moral decline, corrupt governments, liberal media, and increasing spiritual darkness. I tell people that there’s little joy in being a cancer survivor. Heaven is the happening place to be!

To survive the pains and disappointments of this world, we pray for God’s blessings, for more people to turn to Him, to be changed by Him, and to live for Him. As the old hymn tells it: “Showers of blessing. Showers of blessing we need. Mercy drops ‘round us are falling. But for the showers we plead.” And mercy drops are, indeed, falling.

Because of God’s grace, He has sent mercy drops on my family. What a blessing for me to see David teaching a Sunday School class, earning well in his work, and taking on the responsibility of a home; to see Sara nearly 6 years now at her graphics computer job with Neiman Marcus and getting up early each morning for work; to see Hannah excel at so many things as she works on her Masters degree; to see Martha gaining valuable life skills as a nurse and aiming toward the mission field; and to see Jonathan show me this week his academic honor society acceptance letter.

Because of God’s grace, He has sent mercy drops in my life. What a blessing for me to see our churches, both here and in the U.S., come together to help typhoon victims. Teams from Texas are working to rebuild an entire village just outside Roxas City where Hannah and Martha were born. What a blessing for me to see our house church leaders take responsibility for the spiritual growth of those God has brought into their lives. And, it’s been over 5 years since my little cancer recurrence/surgery back in 2008 (I guess that’s a blessing, although heaven is still a better place!).

Oh, but for the showers we plead. I get discouraged reading about the spiritual apathy and moral decline of my home country. Is America too far gone to experience a recovery and revival? I get upset when I see how our depraved western culture has contaminated the ways and minds of other countries that are still influenced by America’s dominance. Bad choices we make in the U.S. spread like a virus worldwide. But I get most disappointed at how few Christians make serious efforts to turn the tide of hell’s advance that is sweeping over our world. Jesus said that we are to be the "salt of the earth" and the "light of the world!"

How liberated Jan must feel now to be free from the powers of this present darkness. I’m looking forward to that day “when this flesh and heart shall fail, and mortal life shall cease, I shall possess, within the veil, a life of joy and peace” (5th stanza of Amazing Grace). But until then, “oh for the showers we plead.”

No comments: