Monday, December 16, 2013

Grit and Grime

I pressed harder so the sandpaper could scrape deeper into the grimy grout between the dirty floor tiles in the men’s restroom. I looked over at Mike, my cleaning partner, as he sanded away at the wall tiles. I had just finished sandpapering red rust off the urinals. “Well,” I said to Mike, “this is not something they taught us to do in seminary.” Reminding myself that all work is honorable, I next attacked the deeply stained toilet bowl. Such is the glamor of missionary work.

For ten days, 5 volunteers from the Southern Baptists of Texas Disaster Relief have labored in Roxas City to renovate a computer school managed by my long-time friend, Ronald Calina. Ronald uses the school as a ministry base, conducting Bible studies and evangelistic retreats for the nearly 100 students. When he and his team visit high schools to promote the school, they also promote the gospel using clips of the Jesus Film and personal testimonies.

Not only did Typhoon Haiyan disrupt the school, it also caused extensive damage to the homes of many of the students. So, the Texas team has been delivering building supplies, mostly tin roofing sheets, to these homes. Bibles are given, as well as a verbal witness to the families that God loves them and cares about their spiritual needs as well as physical. Plans are being made for more teams to visit these needy places.

While relief efforts continue, my Filipino team and I will be conducting a 3-day training on Dec. 27-29 for our house church leaders. Please pray for the 30+ attending that they would be empowered by God’s grace to obey Christ’s command to “Go...baptize...make disciples...and train others.” As important as it is to help people with their physical needs, especially after such a disaster as Haiyan, it is far more important that they meet the Savior.

And please pray for me and my first Christmas as an empty-nester. I’ve already caught myself with misty eyes as I think about Christmas and all my kids half a world away. Hannah finished her first semester of graduate school this week and is working at Mt. Vernon for the weekend. Then she and Martha will be driving to David’s house in Fort Worth where they will all spend Christmas and New Years together. Jonathan made 3 A’s and a B in his first semester of college, earning him another scholarship for the next semester. Mom would be proud.

And please don’t forget the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for Foreign Missions. It’s our lifeline that keeps us here, sharing Christ with the lost, training the saved to grow God’s kingdom, and sometimes, when needed, scrubbing toilets and cleaning tiles.

No comments: