Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Church Servant/Leaders

“Oh, Brother Mark,” a deep voice behind me called out as I left the store. Turning, I saw a large Filipino man. I thought to myself, “OK, his face looks vaguely familiar; I’m supposed to know him from somewhere.”

Then my aging, brain synapsis began connecting. “Ah, Pastor Arkisola, from Roxas City! So good to see you.” Memories returned of the time Bro. Arkisola arrived in Roxas with almost no money, an 8-month pregnant wife, and a heart full of faith in answering God’s call to come to a place he had never been before. Not having any friends or relatives in Roxas, Jan and I helped them get established, providing some funds and laboring with them in the early days of their work. But after leaving Roxas in 1995, I lost contact with him.

Now, after seeing me, he has hastily parked and jumped out of his car. He whips out his new I-pad to show me dozens of pictures of their new church building in Roxas with a membership of over 350 that includes a Bible School with 50 students. He points out pictures of their mission trips to Cambodia, Vietnam, and Indonesia. He says that whenever he tells the story of their church, he always includes the “divine” help given through Mark and Jan Moses, without which they may not have made it.

Needless to say, I was blessed. Sometimes I wonder if God is really using me over here, and it’s nice to get a confirmation from time to time. It was good preparation for my trip last Friday to our Association meeting on Negros Island, which required a boat trip.

The trip is about an hour and a half. The old boat took over 2 hours, but it sank long ago. Today’s ‘fast’ craft bounces over choppy waves. At mid-point, on a clear day, both the island I came from, Panay, and the island I’m going to, Negros, can clearly be seen. After arriving at the pier, chaos ensues for about 15 minutes as everyone rushes to cross the wooden plank to land.

I had lunch with a dear pastor/friend who, many years ago, left a high-paying job and a promising career, took his wife and young child, and lived in a rural fishing village for three years in order to deepen his relationship with his wife and with God. Every morning, before sunrise, he took his boat out to catch fish and talk to the Lord. Now, he owns and manages a small school that gives him an income to help lead a group of about a dozen Baptist churches.

After lunch, I attended our Associational meeting. There was Pastor Namoc, who answered God’s call 15 years ago to take his family to a remote area in a neighboring province where he has worked to start churches and give guidance to our existing churches. Today he leads our Association.

At the meeting was Bro. Romy Catanos, who leads one of our churches just outside Iloilo City. I was in that church last Sunday and was encouraged to see the 6 young people, whom I had discipled, leading the worship service. Romy’s brother, Jimmy, pastors Lee Road Baptist Church, about an hour outside Iloilo. Jimmy, about my age, is experiencing kidney failure, needing dialysis twice a week. But lack of funds probably won’t see him live beyond Christmas. Still, he smiles, resting in the Lord for however many days God gives him.

There were other church leaders at the meeting, some I have known for more than 20 years. What a blessing to see them continue in their faith, growing their churches, and seeking new ways to expand God’s kingdom.

Back in Iloilo, me and my team are planning a series of 3 training retreats, beginning in December, for our dozen or so house church leaders, plus another dozen who are working to plant house churches. My Sundays are filling up with speaking engagements. And I continue to pray for more men to train. Despite the darkness of our culture and the strength of the enemy, I still see God at work, people responding, and the Lord being glorified.

1 comment:

Janet C Nash said...

Mark, so happy to get these reports of what is happening in your area of ministry. I think Bro Romy Catanus was a little boy when we lived in Cotabato City - we were there 1965-71. His father Bro Delfin Catanus and his wife were dear friends- Mrs. Catanus was in the states for a while but think she has returned to the PI to stay. God bless. Bob and Jan