Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thrifty Living

I’ve ridden buses before, but I forgot how long a cross-country trip can be in one. Earlier this week, for 28 hours, Greyhound bus #1150 carried me from the cool mountains of Virginia to the hot plains of Texas. Except for a near freeway accident, lost luggage, a police drug inspection, an extremely obese seat mate, and a fight in the back of the bus that sent one man to the hospital, it was an uneventful trip.

I spent a day in Lynchburg, VA, with Martha as she practiced driving from Liberty University to the hospitals where she will be doing her practicums. Earlier this month, she passed her driving exam and I bought her an ’05 Ford Focus hatchback, which we drove to Virginia while Hannah followed in her car, both packed high with their belongings.

After saying goodbye to Martha, I spent 4 days in Harrisonburg, VA (about 2 hours away from Martha), helping Hannah get settled in her new apartment near James Madison University where she will work on her Master’s degree. Our primary task was to buy some furniture. I guess Hannah is cheap like her dad. Here’s what happened while driving on day 2…

“Dad, I see a Good Will store. Let’s stop there and see what they have.”

“OK, Hannah, but I doubt they will have much of anything we want.”

Moments later, in the store, at the back: “Hey Dad, look at this little desk.”

“C’mon Hannah, you don’t want that. It’s too small and it’s all scratched up.”

“But, Dad, I don’t want anything big. And look, it’s only $7.95!

“Hannah dear, I’m willing to spend some so you can have a decent desk. Besides, look at all those heat bubbles on top. How will you be able to write on that?”

“Well, we can sand it down and cover it with contact shelf paper. It will work fine.”

“You’re kidding me.”

“Nope, this is what I want.”

A few hours later, back in her apartment, Hannah had a new ‘used’ desk for a grand total of $15 ($8 for the desk, $2 for sand paper and a bit of glue, and $5 for the contact paper). It looked fine. We bought her a dresser and night stand at R&S Salvage, and her bed from a very friendly Christian family on Craigslist. Hannah was pleased with her purchases. Allie, Hannah’s close friend and roommate during college, will be living with Hannah and splitting the rent.

As always, I cried after saying ‘goodbye’ to Martha, and then to Hannah. You’d think after so many times saying ‘goodbye’ that it would get easier, but it doesn’t. I hope to be back in 2 years for their graduations. Back in Texas, David, Jonathan, and I are doing lots of yard work at David’s new house in preparations for moving in next week. Tonight we are having a birthday dinner for David. Sept. 12 will be here much too soon. But I’ve been richly blessed to have had this time to be with my kids. For us, it’s been one of the best summers ever.

P.S. If you care to hear my Sunday morning message on Aug. 4 that featured testimonies from David, Martha, and even Jan (a video clip), go to www.inglewoodbaptist.com/media.php?pageID=21

Also, check out this article about my family that appeared in the Southern Baptists of Texas magazine: www.texanonline.net/archives/4630

1 comment:

Janet C Nash said...

How well we remember that the good byes never get easier. The bus trip sounded very interesting- hope you get everything moved and settled in David's home- good that he has it. We pray for you as you make final plans for returning to your field of service and ministry.

Bob and Jan Nash